Jointly issued by 1Malaysia Development Berhad and Malaysian Institute of Architects
Top architects compete to design signature tower
KUALA LUMPUR, 23 April 2012: Top internationally-acclaimed architecture firms will move on to the second round of the Kuala Lumpur International Financial District (KLIFD) Signature Tower Design Competition.
Twelve collaborations of top local and global architects were shortlisted to enter the next round. The successful teams are:
- GDP Architects Sdn Bhd in collaboration with Foster+Partners Ltd, United Kingdom;
- T.R. Hamzah & Yeang Sdn Bhd in collaboration with Llewelyn Davies Yeang, United Kingdom;
- Hijjas Kasturi Associates Sdn Bhd;
- RSP Architects Sdn Bhd in collaboration with Adrian Smith+Gordon Gill Architecture LLP, United States;
- Veritas Architects Sdn Bhd in collaboration with Skidmore, Owings & Merril LLP, United States;
- Pakatan Reka Arkitek Sdn Bhd in collaboration with COX Architecture, Australia;
- DP Architects Sdn Bhd in collaboration with REX Architecture P.C, United States;
- Aqidea Architects Sdn Bhd in collaboration with Coop Himmelblau, Austria;
- Kumpulan Senireka Sdn Bhd in collaboration with BjarkeIngels Group (BIG), Denmark;
- Arkitek KDI Sdn Bhd in collaboration with Bates Smart Pty Ltd, Australia;
- Atsa Architects Sdn Bhd in collaboration with Perkins+Will, USA; and
- GSD Architect in collaboration with Arquitectonica, USA.
They were selected by a panel of assessors following the submission of their pre-qualification documents, which closed on 22 March 2012.
The criteria for selection are: organisation capability statement; qualifications of key personnel and team organisation; experiences of firm or firms in collaboration; similar related past and current projects especially on signature/landmark towers; and international and national winning projects and awards received.
The teams have been informed on 9 April 2012 and have already started working on their submissions, due on 24 May 2012.
The competition, organised by the Malaysian Institute of Architects (PAM) under the auspices of the International Union of Architects (UIA), seeks the best architectural solutions that reflect the aspirations for the Signature Tower to serve as the centrepiece building, sited on a prime location within KLIFD.
1MDB Real Estate (1MDB RE) Chief Executive Officer Dato’ Azmar Talib said: “Our aim is to attract collaboration of local and global talents to reap cutting edge innovation and creativity on a global level for the Signature Tower.”
He added: “With the selection of these top teams, we can look forward to seeing the Signature Tower grow into an innovative centrepiece for KLIFD.”
PAM President, Ar. Hj. Saifuddin Ahmad, said: “The competition has attracted many top architects, and it has been quite an arduous task to shortlist the teams for the second stage.”
He added: “We will ensure the subsequent stages of the competition continue to be conducted in a rigorous and transparent manner, mirroring 1MDB’s own stringent procedures.”
Following the completion of the second stage in May, an international jury of nine members will then select five winning schemes to proceed to the third and final stage.
1MDB RE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of 1MDB (“1Malaysia Development Berhad”), the Master Developer of KLIFD.